IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society
The IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society (NPSS) is a transnational group of about 3000 professional engineers and scientists. The IEEE-affiliated Society sponsors 5 major annual, and six biennial conferences and symposia. It also sponsors or co-sponsor four peer-reviewed academic journals.
The IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization with more than 360,000 members in around 175 countries.
History of the NPSS
In 1947, the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) formed the Nuclear Studies Committee to assess the role of the IRE in the field. Two years later, the Professional Group on Nuclear Science was formed. In 1954 the first issue of the Transactions on Nuclear Science appeared, increasing to four issues per year in 1956.
In 1963 the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) merged with the IRE to form the IEEE, and the AIEE Nucleonics Committee and the Committee on Nucleaonic and Radiation Instruments merged with the IRE Professional Group on Nuclear Science on October 29, 1963, to become the Nuclear Science Group of the IEEE.
Transactions on Nuclear Science
The first issue of the Transactions on Nuclear Science first appeared in 1954, the number of issues rising to four per year in 1956. In 2005, the journal was ranked No.3 for impact factor in Nuclear Science & Engineering by Thomson. (Web site)
Transactions on Plasma Science
The first issue of the Transactions on Plasma Science appeared in 1973. The 'Tennessee Orange,' cover color was picked by Igor Alexeff, Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Published bimonthly, its scope includes all aspects of the theory and application of plasma science, and regularly features "Special issues" (eg. eight in 2004). Between 2000-2004, the journal was ranked No.10 for impact factor in "Physics - Fluids & Plasmas" by Thomson.
Transactions on Medical Imaging
The journal encourages papers on the imaging of body structures, usually in situ, rather than microscopic biological entities. In the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) from Thomson, which ranks journals by their impact factor, in 2005, the journal was ranked:
- No.1 in Imaging Science & Photographic Technology
- No.2 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- No.3 in Computer Science, Interdisciplinary Applications
- No.3 in Biomedical Engineering
- No.6 in Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging
The IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society organizes a number of conferences. A calendar of upcoming conferences can be found on the IEEE NPSS website. Following is a list of several IEEE NPSS conferences.
- Nuclear and Space Radiation Effects Conference Web Site
- Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference Web Site
- Particle Accelerator Conference 2007 Conference Web Site
- Pulsed Power and Plasma Science Conference 2007 Conference Web Site
- Real Time Conference 2007 Conference Web Site
- International Conference on Inorganic Scintillators and Their Applications 2011 Conference Web Site
- Symposium on Fusion Engineering 2007 Conference Web Site 2009 Conference Web Site
Fields of Interest
Areas of technical activity include:
- IEEE NPSS new member letter
- NPSS Home Page
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 746: Argument map not defined for this variable.
- Citations to IEEE Journals Continue to Climb
- History of the Founding of the Transactions on Plasma Science
- TPS Annual Report (2004)
- Journals Ranked by Impact, "What's New in Research: May 8, 2006"
- IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Statement of Editorial Policy
- NPSS Fields of interest